Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Orient or Orientate

Day 7 is officially complete.

The morning started a little rocky.  Last night I didn't sleep very well.  I don't know if it's still the "new job" jitters or my body getting used to the "new routine".  Mike fell ill as well, so when he's restless, it's an added bonus of missing out on REM sleep.  When you don't get a good night's sleep.. it can be a little challenging "to be" or act "your best" at work. 

As my father used to say, "pull up your bootstraps and get to work".  That's what I did today.

Wood shop.  Today I learned that I will be making six Braille blocks as my first project.  I reviewed the "Click Ruler" with my instructor and measured out 2 and 1/16th measurement for my first cut.  My instructor introduced me to a small tool that feels like a small rod with a large washer on one end that can be adjusted up and down the rod with a screw.  On the other end is a dull rotary blade that can make a small indented line in the wood.   With the click ruler and marking tool, you can make a very accurate measurement and marking before cutting.  Before time was up, I was introduced to the hand miter saw (I believe that's the name?) and will be cutting my first block.  I am excited to see how my first cut works out.  After the cuts I will then work on creating the 6 holes of the Braille cell, with a hand drill.  I will eventually graduate to other electric saws and a drill press to create my blocks.

Description of pictures:  Hand miter saw I will be using in wood shop and example of the Braille block I will start cutting tomorrow.
Braille.  Worked mostly on the slate and stylus today.  Nothing too mind blowing.  Haha.

Home Management.  The second Tuesday of every week we have  two hours where all the students meet together to discuss topics related to blindness.  Today we visited the low vision clinic and discussed that even though we are learning "non visual" methods, it is okay and encouraged to use magnification or other tools to accomplish personal goals.  The instructors taught, (and I agree) that you don't need to "teach" a person to use the vision they have.  One goal of instruction is to teach non visual methods so when a person's vision is unstable, deteriorating, or not reliable, they can use alternative methods that will increase confidence and independence.

Orientation & Mobility. Today I spent time walking outside (in light rain) with another student who is a lot more confident traveling under sleepshades.  She showed me the route from the front door to the housing units where students are encouraged to stay while training.  She gave me some personal/different insight into tips/tricks she uses to travel and she was very patient as I traveled about 1/2 the speed and had moments where I got "stuck" and had to problem solve my way out of things.

So.. I have a running joke with Brook.  She makes fun of me because I say, "orientate" instead of "orient".  She asked, "I'm going to see if orientate is even a word.. and if it is I will stop making fun of you and anyone else that says it."  It is a word, but is commonly used in England rather than the U.S. and is described as sounding "clumsy".  From here on out, I will continue saying orientate.

Keyboarding.  Reached lesson 50.. half way done.  Woot!   I really like brushing up on my keyboard knowledge and am learning short cuts keys for Jaws.

Til tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment