Sunday, August 25, 2013

Day Five: If You See Me, Say Hello.

This will be quick because I was suppose to be to bed 90 minutes ago to be ready and refreshed for day six.

Friday consisted of my typical routine.

Woodshop:  Explored and tried to learn the "Click Rule", which is a very important tool when taking exact measurements in our class.  It takes skillz, Math skillz that is.  WHAAAT? Oh man, I was having a hay day trying to figure out 3 and 11/16th.  Was unsuccessful, but will try again on Monday.

Braille: Plugging along.  I am able to get through one lesson in an hour, or learn two letters a day.   have felt guilty all weekend not practicing my Braille.  I am trying to learn how to balance and prioritize family, church duties, and work (homework).  This weekend church and family came first, so I'm most likely going to have to back track which is not what a teacher wants to hear.

Home Management:  Another student in my class wanted to purchase a large purse or professional looking bag that she could carry her Braille books and materials in.  This was my first official travel lesson outside of the building and I was quite nervous.  We met in the front of the building and met a driver who took us to TJMaxx.   On the way to the store, I started feeling a bit car sick.. not dramatic, but the motion along with my shades was not a pleasant combination.  I made it there succesfully without spewing and took a deep breath as I exited the van.  An O&M instructor was right there to greet me and talk me through methods of how to find the entrance. Listening to the door, asking the driver where the entrance is and then pointing into that direction to make sure I understood those directions.  He explained a successful way to hold and use my cane while in a store, finding larger aisles for walking around the store, versus smaller aisles which typically has products to choose from.  While we were talking, I bumped a container off the shelf and waited to hear it drop to see if it was plastic or glass.  Whew, a plastic tupperware container.  Set it back and thanked the Lord above.  We caught up with the others who were in the purse section.  We spent time exploring the different purses, materials, pockets, compartments and asking one of the sales reps what color, designs, etc.. were on it.  On our way out, someone said, "MARLA!"  I asked who it was and they said, "Kristie".  One of my good friends from Park City and her daughter were out shopping.  I have known them for many years through my association with the Utah Parents of Blind Children.  It was really great to see them, and chat for a bit.  I went away thinking, "What if they hadn't said hi?"   I wouldn't have had the social connection with them.   I am definitely more mindful of the importance to say hello to those around me.  It makes a difference in your day.  Time quickly passed and we were back on the van on the way home.  We talked about our personal lives and home management topics such as, "folding different increments of money to tell the difference between bills".

After lunch, I was exhausted.. both mentally and emotionally.  My orientation and mobility instructor was very perceptive of this and we had a "lighter lesson".  She encouraged me to take a break and get some of my employee paperwork and benefits done.  I spent the rest of the day organizing my office and signing my family up for benefits through the state.

I looked forward to getting home and spending a relaxing weekend with my family.  It was something I definitely took for granted before I started this adventure.

Til next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment