Tuesday, August 20, 2013

H.E. Double Toothpicks

I'm HOOOOME!! My kid's response, "How was your second day mom?"   Wasn't exactly sure how to respond as this was a challenging, exhausting, frustrating at times, overwhelming, and a productive day all rolled up into one.

My day started out with a group lesson where we discussed questions such as, "What would be your ideal job?"  "If you had a choice, between getting 10 million dollars or have your vision back? What would you choose?"  "Which of your instructors would give you a job recommendation and why?"  The million dollar question was very interesting to hear people's answers.  I shared, my first inclination would be to say I wanted my vision over the millions of dollars, but mostly because I was feeling uncomfortable at the moment.  I shared that this feeling might be short sighted because I didn't have the proper training and tools to be feel confident, comfortable with who I am, and independent.  I know many blind and visually impaired individuals, including my own children.  Blindness can be inconvenient, but shouldn't define a person or their happiness.  It's definitely not a tragedy if an individual can receive the proper training, tools, and attitude towards it.    Believe you me, I have met unhappy sighted peeps and happy blind peeps.

After group lesson, I participated in Home Management, Orientation & Mobility & Keyboarding.

In Home Management, I spent most my time orienting myself to the kitchen, finding the large and small appliances, silverware, kitchen tools, etc..  I am in class with two other students.  One student made a fruit salad and then turned it into smoothies for everyone.  The other made a cherry cobbler.  Really cool to witness and partake of their Success.

Orientation & Mobility was spent in the back hallway near my office.  To give you perspective, I was told that walking the hall 6 times would equal 1 mile.   I believe I walked it at least 10 times, practicing my cane techniques which was put to the test when I was asked to find all of my classes for the next day.   The first time, I was successful in finding all of my classes, except one.  I had gone too far before making a right and ended up in a room full of supplies.  My first thought was, "Why the heck are there canes and a chair in the hall."  "Really, did I just think that?" was my follow up thought.  I got a bit frustrated which is not a good thing when I should be thinking and problem solving.  My O&M instructor came in, and rather than guide me out started prompting me with who could I hear, where did I think I was, etc..  Once I found the door (after what felt like 10 minutes), I was back in the hallway where I was able to find everything again.  Success.

My last class of the day was Keyboarding.  I was pretty excited for this class, because I felt like this wouldn't be "as" challenging.  Let's just say I was completely wrong.  On a good day, I typically type 50-60 wpm, using my Mac keyboard.  Today it took me 35 minutes to just log into the computer.  I was suppose to type in a specific password to get into the typing program.  I lost track after typing it wrong 20 times and was like, 'What the H Mario?"     Because passwords are asterisks (*) on a screen, I was only hearing "asterisk, asterisk, asterisk.." instead of the letter and  unable to pinpoint the mistyped letter.  After I was successful, I gasped, "Finally, what the H.E. Double Toothpicks!!!"  Yup, said it exactly like that without swearing.   I had 15 minutes left of class and was able to complete 6 lessons.  93 to go.
Success.

Selfie with sleepshades during my lunch break.  

1 comment:

  1. You. Rock. It's a whole new world, under those shades. Props to you, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete